Wednesday 23 March 2011

Dialogue - getting under someone's skin

Today we'll have a look at how one character can awake negative emotions in another (and, consequently, in the audience).

In the class we'll also analyse the principles of Schopenhauer's "Eristic Dialectic" and see how we can use them to our advantage.


1. The Picnic (TROPFEST winner 2007)



Pay attention especially to the opening scene in which Lily is being introduced to the group.



2. Teasing and taunting.

Such exchange is the body and soul of each revenge film. The villain is teasing the hapless protagonist. It usually happens at the end of Act 2.

Rob Roy (1995)

Cunningham raped Rob's wife and has taken Rob prisoner.

Archibald Cunningham: What did you do with that bag of guts Killearn? Vex me not, McGregor, or I shall have you dragged a while. And I am a man of my word.

Robert Roy MacGregor: You're a thief, a murderer and a violator of women.

Archibald Cunningham: Aah... I had hoped you'd come to me long since on that score.

Robert Roy MacGregor: If I had known earlier you would have been dead sooner.

Archibald Cunningham: I will tell you something, to take with you. Your wife was far sweeter forced than many are willing. And truth put to it, I think not all of her objected...



3. Egging on.

We've already had this scene but it's so good we can watch it again. The Joker needs the guard to approach him. He does it by merely talking.




Joker_phonecall_1

Joker_phonecall_2

No comments:

Post a Comment